Thursday, April 15, 2010

MOTHERS DISOBEY SOMETIMES, TOO !

Gospel Reading John 3:31-36
"Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever disobeys the Son will not have life, but will remain under God's punishment." John 3:36

I am pretty grouchy this morning, so I probably should not be writing for Jesus! I was up all through the night with a screaming 21 month old, a 4.5 year old who wet his bed and then up for the day with my 4.5 year old at 5:30 AM. Needless to say, I was not a happy camper this morning at 5:30. I reminded myself of my 21 month old who is starting to be defiant and "test the waters". Last night I told her "NO!" to filling a cup and pouring it all over the bathroom floor. I told her no three times.....she just looked at me and kept doing it. The consequences weren't pretty. I was the same this morning towards the Heavenly Father. I was saying words under my breath that I shouldn't but I didn't care at the moment. It almost felt good to be defiant to what was right. As mothers we continually lay down our lives for our family.....even throughout the night. We lay sleep aside....sleep that is so needed and loved...and care for God's flock. Sometimes, however, we just have had ENOUGH and we lose it! I threw an empty bottle across the kitchen floor at 5:30 this morning. I was bucking the system of selflessness...by golly, I just wanted some sleep! I see myself often as a little child at the foot of Jesus. As we are caring for these little souls, Jesus is caring for our little soul. And it is okay, I believe, to throw a fit and be a baby every once and awhile. This is where Jesus shows us humilty, selflessness, and obedience. After settling down, I humbly came before the Lord and asked for forgiveness for my potty mouth and disobedience. When you kick and scream and are mad at God, this shows you have a close relationship with Him....this is a good thing. We are human...we can't always be perfect and pleasing before the Lord. We are sinners for "crying out loud "(literally)!

Just as a child disobeys a parent, we disobey God from time to time. Just as the child is punished, we are punished with Sin. Therefore, we have to come before Jesus and ask for forgiveness and learn from His ways. His way is to love our neighbor as ourself. His way is simple....to LOVE. We are human and we become selfish from time to time, but it helps bring us to our knees, ask for forgiveness and seek to be more like Him. To love as He loves and sacrifice our lives as He sacrificed for us.....even if it is sacrificing from sleep. Jesus would often say to His disciples, "The good you do, do secretly and your Father, who see you in everything will repay you." Most of what we do as mothers is done in secret. We honestly can't imagine the graces that flow from Heaven down upon us each and every day for doing good behind closed doors. Jesus once whispered in my heart when I was beating myself up for not being a good mother one day.."the good you do every day far outweighs the bad". Remember that one, moms, and don't be too hard on yourself!

Blessings to you this Thursday.

No comments: