Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Finding Rest in the Arms of Our Shepherd

John 10:22-30
"My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me." John 10:27

I still do not have a computer and I miss writing every morning. It is amazing how filled my days are after I meditate on the gospel and write about motherhood. It helps keep a Heaven's perspective on my days in the home. I do have to say that not having a computer in the home is quite peaceful. Writing on the gospels is the only thing I miss. It is amazing how we have the world at our discretion through a computer. Anything we want to know about or curious about is just a click away. I can't help but think this is not the greatest thing for society. Our children might not ever know the meaning of delayed gratification....for we have instant text messaging, email and internet all wrapped up in a phone. How do we teach our children to listen to the Shepherd's voice....to know His voice and follow Him when we are bombarded with such a noisy society? I think it starts with us mothers in the home. To take time to sit and be and read a book while the kids play. Now that I do not have a computer, I sit and read a book while having my afternoon coffee. The days have been so beautiful, so I sit by an open window where the crisp air fills the home. I have relaxing music playing, the kids are outside being silly and riding their bikes and I am at peace. Usually this is my time to catch up on email or search on the internet for whatever is on my mind. This is probably not the best example for my children....the better example is teaching them to live in the moment....to have a cup of tea or coffee and read a book. Our God is a God of simplicity. He yearns for a simple life for us. In these moments, we will hear the voice of the Shepherd. It is in these moments that our children will learn from us how to stop and listen.

So during these beautiful Spring days from Heaven, stop and smell your blooming roses outside. Teach your children how to cut and place the roses in a vase. Sit with a steaming cup of coffee and rest in the arms of Jesus. Take joy in listening to your children's conversations.....they are hilarious! Sit in read because this is only teaching your children to sit and enjoy a book. Don't busy yourself too much to the point you can not hear the Shepherd's voice.....He is their just waiting to hold us in His arms and speak to us about the great work that we do in caring for our family and home. He is so pleased when He sees us taking a moment to enjoy the life He has given us and these precious little souls that will be grown in a blink of an eye. So moms, today, just take a deep breath and don't be so hard on yourself. Rest in the arms of our Shepherd....

Blessings to you this Tuesday!

No comments: