Wednesday, April 7, 2010

MOTHERHOOD...A MODERN DAY "ROAD TO EMMAUS"

Gospel Reading today Luke 24: 13 - 35
"When he was at table with them, he took the bread and blessed, and broke it, and gave it to them.
And their eyes were opened and they recognized him; and he vanished out of their sight." Luke 24:30-31


The gospel reading reminds me of how I was before my eyes were opened to the true vocation of motherhood. We get so caught up in the selfishness of the world that when we become mothers everything in our life is "thrown for a loop"! We start asking ourselves...."are kidding? This is what motherhood is all about?" or how about the famous saying.."I feel like I am losing myself.." or the other famouse saying "What about me? What is in it for me?" or "I went to college for what? My life is over..." I felt all of these feelings as I would scream at the top of my lungs out in the back yard and hope my neighbors didn't turn me in to the looney-bin. I did the whole scenerio of getting angry at Clint because no matter how much he tried to help, the mother is the main care taker of the child. I threw fits, kicked and screamed and wondered what the h_ll I had done by having this baby! This is all a detox of selfishness, pride, and worldly standards. It is not until Jesus used one of His disciples of today's time, author Donna Marie Cooper Oboyle, to help open my eyes. I was like the disciples walking with Jesus on the road to Emmaus. Jesus was right in front of me the whole time....He was present, especially in this precious gift (baby) that He had given me. I was just blinded and couldn't see. Thankfully I read The Heart of Motherhood and my eyes were open and I saw Jesus standing in front of me in an onry toddler boy, a sleeping baby girl and another on the way. Everything became crystal clear.....the purpose and mission of motherhood. We are the modern day disciples of Christ raising souls for Eternity. Although He has risen from the dead, our mission has just begun.

So today, open your eyes to Christ walking next to you into school, out in the backyard or in the parking lot of the grocery store. You are on your road to Emmaus....don't be blinded, but see Jesus in your precense and break bread with Him at lunch today. Thankfully our children are the "bread breakers"...they bless our lives and give us a whole new meaning to live for Christ.

Blessings to you this Wednesday!

No comments: