Monday, March 1, 2010

Mothers of Compassion

Gospel Reading today Luke 6:36-38
"Do not judge others, and God will not judge you; do not condemn others and God will not condemn you" Luke 6:37

I can't write much this morning....my children are going and blowing extra early for some reason. The thought that came to my mind when I read the gospel is how judgemental mothers are on other mothers. Why do we think how we do things is the best and only way? For instance, my son Benjamin runs on different batteries than most children his age. This morning as I was pouring my cup of coffee and excited to have just one cup and say my prayers before I started my day with children....I heard footsteps coming into the kitchen. As I closed my eyes and sayed a prayer it was my husband, I turned around and saw it was Ben and the clock read 5:40 AM. I said out loud, "Lord, I give up". As most mothers are judging me at this moment and saying in their minds that I need to make him go back to bed, it just doesn't work that way with little Ben (believe me...I have tried it all.) He layed down next to me and I scratched his back while I prayed the rosary. My point is, what works for some children don't work for others. So instead of us immediately judging the child in McDonald's who is throwing a fit and thinking how terrible his mother is, have a little more compassion and pray for the mother and child instead of condemning them. We don't know anyone's background or circumstance. Every soul/child is different and we as parents have to parent each one differently I believe.

So as mothers raising disciples for Christ, let's stop judging and start encouraging one another. We are all in this together!

Blessings to you this Monday.

No comments: