Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Preventing Betrayal in Our Children

Gospel Reading today John 13:21-33,36-38
Jesus said to Judas, "What you are going to do, do quickly.".....Jesus answered Peter,..."Amen, amen, I say to you, the cock will not crow before you deny me three times." John 13:27,38

In regards to motherhood today after reading the gospel, I could only think about how our children in their lifetime will more than likely betray us. I know I betrayed my parents when I was a teenager and I remember I was filled with regret as they were discipling me appropriately. Just as Judas and Peter were filled with regret after turning their back on Jesus, we only hope and pray as a parent that our children will be filled with so much love from us that they will know better when they are about to betray us. And if they go ahead with the betrayal, we hope that they will be filled with regret and turn back to the light. How do we acomplish this as parents? I really don't know the answer because my children are so young and I have so much to learn, but I can only guess that the process begins NOW. Having their "hearts" at an early age will prevent mulitiple betrayals. Strict discipline done with great love is what my parents did with me and I plan on do the exact same with my children. Walking daily with Jesus alongside our children at early ages is crucial in preventing betrayal. Daily prayers, talking openly about Jesus, Heaven, good, bad, light, dark....are all so important to instill in our children daily as we go about our lives. I am already talking to my four year old son to walk in the light.

Another way, as mothers, we can help prevent betrayal of our children, is to pray daily for each one of them. I separately pray for each child daily. I am already praying that they will love the Lord our God at very early ages. I am praying for them to always follow the light. I ask St. Michael Archangel to pray for protection over them from the evil one. I am already praying for their future spouse and marriage. Call me crazy, but this is what I do to prevent fear overtaking me. I give my children to God daily and it actually helps me be at peace. I want nothing but the best for my children's future and Clint & I can only do so much. We can only shape and mold them as best as we can, but Jesus and all of His heavenly court are going to have to step in and take over...especially in this scary world we live in.

So start today! Give your children over to Jesus. You are not alone in this great task of mothering God's children. Start praying daily for your children and start talking openly about Jesus and living for the things above. Children are so receptive and it is actually amazing how they begin talking openly about Jesus and following the light after you teach them.

Blessings to you this Holy Tuesday!

No comments: