Thursday, March 25, 2010

Confession is like a Holy Therapy Session

The Annunciation of the Lord
Gospel Reading today Luke 1:26-38
"Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord. May it be done to me according to your word." Luke 1:38

Today is the feast day of the Annunciation of the Lord.....when Mary said, "Yes" to be the Mother of Jesus. What a friend, mother and example we have in Mary. Our faith gives us so many abundant gifts, one in which is the love and example of the Mother of Jesus. Being cradle Catholic (catholic since birth), I knew we honored her but it is not until I became a mother that I have grown to appreciate her friendship and constant care for us...the children of her Son. There are so many misconceptions of the importance the Catholic Church places upon Mary, the Mother of God. I like to say it is like asking a friend to pray for you, but the only difference is that she is the Mother of Jesus! We simply ask Mary to pray for us....we don't worship her, we don't place her equal or higher than God. We simply honor her because she is the Mother of Jesus and we ask her to pray for us. Mary's greatest goal is to bring us closer to her Son. By praying the rosary, we pray the gospels. We meditate on the life of Jesus. The rosary is like beautiful background music to the gospels as we pray the Hail Mary's (which is a gospel reading Luke 1:28)we are watching Christ's life unfold before our eyes. The rosary has brought me so much closer to Christ....it has been life changing for me. So thank goodness for her YES, we have eternal life. Thank you, Mary! I have to admit that I am not as faithful in saying yes to God's Will. I tend to want my own will at times, especially when it is a little scary (like the thought of having more children!). But I am reminded in today's gospel that God's Will is perfect. Although Mary was so scared and worried, she trusted in the Lord and His plan was make perfect through her. If we could only be more willing to say Yes, this world would probably be so much of a better place.

Last night, we had reconcilation Mass. As I have become closer to Christ, I yearn for confession. For me, it is a holy therapy session! To actually say out loud your sins is so theraputic and then to know like it says in today's gospel, "the power of the Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you." Luke 1:26-38 We become full of grace when the Priest prays over us and through the Holy Spirit we are forgiven. The amazing freedom and grace you feel the days following confession is amazing! So for all of the Catholic moms out there, this is such a wonderful therapy session for you if you have been angry with your children, bitter or angry with your husband.....go to confession and feel the peace and grace from Heaven decsend upon you the minute you walk outside. This is what Lent calls us to do....repent, turn from sin, and follow the light of Christ.

Blessings to you this Thursday!

No comments: