Friday, February 26, 2010

LIVING THE SIMPLE LIFE- THE BEATITUDES

Gospel Reading today The Beatitudes Mathew 5:1-12
"Happy are those who are humble; they will receive what God has promised." Mathew 5:5

This past week has been so challenging for our family. Being a baking family is similar to being a farming family. As the storm clouds brew upon the farm and the family fears of their crop being hailed-out, I was saying the divine mercy chaplet as I walked into the post office in prayer their was a check that we had been waiting for. We depend on nothing but faith to keep our business going. Through our life, I am reminded often of the pioneers. My ancestors who settled the ranch I grew up on. Even though life was tough, they were happy. They would pull up the rug on a saturday night and the neighbor played the fiddle while they danced into the wee hours of the morning. Last night was a glimpse of the past for me. After a long and grueling week, we all danced in the kitchen to country music and at that moment we were all blissfully happy. We don't have much, but we have love. After dancing and laughing, we all gathered around to pray the family rosary. We turn off all the lights in the house and lit a candle. We prayed and then I played the guitar. I am reminded that this is what life is all about. I am so thankful we have been given less so I can experience these blissful moments of Heaven on earth. Time stood still last night and I realized that "blessed are the poor in spirit, the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to them." As we have been spiritually poor this past week, we were given the Kingdom of Heaven last night.

As my Grandad always use to say when my Grandmother wanted a Cadillac "that will get you in trouble". I never understood what that meant until now. As we yearn for worldy goods, they truly will get us in trouble. Being happy and thankful with what you have been given, is living God's Kingdom on earth. As Father Patrick Peyton says "The Spirit of simplicity avoids extremes. Jesus lived a simple life. Do I?" Something to ponder on this morning....
All I use to care about while living a "christian life" was materialism....wearing couture clothing, having the big fancy home, driving the Lexus SUV...all that silly nonsense. I can honestly say, I do not want that anymore. Even someday if our business is blessed abundantly, I want to drive my ford and live in a sweet and humble home. This is the only way I will be able to be a net to catch souls....for the other will get me in trouble, but living a humble life before the Lord will catch souls for eternity. It is also crucial that our children witness this in us.

Have a blessed Friday and dance with your family this weekend! It is good for the soul!

No comments: