Monday, February 8, 2010

Calling All Mothers to do the Technology Detox

Today's Gospel Reading
"And when they got out of the boat, immediately the people recognized him, and ran about the whole neighborhood and began to bring sick people on their pallets to any place where they heard he was." Mark 6:53-56


So much is on my heart this morning. Through fasting and confession last week, my mind has been opened and my heart cleansed at the clutter that has taken hold of my life as of late. As I have struggled with detoxing of technology and the craziness in my life, I read the gospel this morning and realize how bombarded Jesus must have felt from all of the people wanting to touch his cloak and be saved. Our children do the same to us...constanly tug at our "cloaks" and cry out to us to save them from their sibling, hold them when they are tired and nourish their minds and spirits through our touch. As we are such a "public figure" in our homes, Jesus was such a public figure here on earth and I am sure he felt very overwhelmed at times just like we do as mothers. How did Jesus differentiate what was from His father and what wasn't from his father? First of all, He didn't turn away from His children. He wasn't focused on cleaning fish or carpentry so much that He tuned them out. Jesus was available to His children. I believe that is how we discern what is from the Lord and what isn't is our availablity to our family.

I have realized alot this past week...mostly that technology in our culture can be a sickness if you let it. We all become immune of how addicted our culture is to technology but when you open your eyes to the sickness, you start seeing how tainted this sickness really is. This past week I have watched how everyone has their phone constantly in their hands, next to their plate at lunch with a friend, talking while driving, in their purse at church. A phone is what our culture clings to. Especially the young...if they don't have their phone right next to them, they are lost and feel naked. The computer is the other "bug" going around to cause such sickness. People are addicted to the internet. As a mother at home doing the mundane daily chores or breaking up fights, it is easy to get away from the mundane and nourish your wonder by surfing the web, checking email...but this is tainted I believe. Everything in moderation is key. I don't want my children to see me on the computer all of the time or on the phone and as of late it was getting out of hand. Therefore, the Lord opened my eyes and I am simplifying my life. I have unplugged my home phone, I have put up my laptop to only check email once a day during rest time. I put my cell phone in my purse behind my seat in the car. I might not respond to an email or return a phone call for days....but I will be at peace knowing my children and husband have my 100% attention. I am anxious to see if there is less whining and fighting and more giggles and laughter with my children having their mother "in tune" to them verses tuned to other things. Satan is very sly and his work is a slow rott. I believe technology can be a wonderful thing....like writing or reading a spiritual blog such as this one or finding a good recipe online to cook for your family, or keeping in touch with friends and family via emai. However, technology can be like a bad habit that you are addicted to. If we don't get a handle on this as mothers, it is going to slowly rott on our families. I urge all of you to do the Technology Cleanse and seek to live a more simple life. In turn, our families will be healthier for this. For we are their first teachers and if they see us talking on the phone all of the time or on the computer, they will do the same. Let's fight against this war on the family and one of the main weapon is detoxing ourselves and our family from the sickness of technology.

So all my dear friends who might be reading this, you might have to come knock at my front door if you really need to talk. I will welcome you with open arms. But I have a family to take care of and this is my first and foremost priorty. Answering emails and returning phone calls is just going to have to take back seat.

The little daily lesson: to keep soberly and quietly in His Presence, trying to turn every little action on His Will; and to praise and love through cloud and sunshine is all my care and study.

-- St. Elizabeth Ann Seton


Blessings to you all this Monday!

1 comment:

AnneMarie said...

remember when there was no such thing as call waiting? or look and see who it is before you answer (aka screening calls)..
people tell me all the time that I never answer my cell phone. I never have it near me- it is for emergencies or a quick direction...
as for my home phone.. we have 4 but with a baby around it wanders- lol- and some of the ringers are turned off- we did this for sleeping babies.
I figure if you need me- you will call again. If it is truly important you will find me :)
It all works out.. moderation is key...