Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Parched for God's Presence

Gospel Reading today: Mark 6:34-44
"He pitied them, for they were like a sheep without a shepherd; and He began to teach them at great length." Mark 6:34

As mothers, I believe we can feel like a lost sheep at times. As we are sleep deprived and taking care of little lambs 24/7, we can feel lost and distant from God. Right now, I am feeling like a lost sheep. The busyness of the holidays and my mind focused lately on other things besides prayer has left me wondering in a vast pasture. I once heard it was normal and part of a spiritual pilgrimage to feel distant from God. For me, all it does is make me yearn for his presence even more. Sunday I just kept the Eucharist on my tongue. I didn't want to eat it, because I knew I was feeling distant from God and didn't want the Eucharist to go away...for it is the closest, most tangible thing we have to Jesus. This might all sound very strange, but as mothers I think we thirst for God in a differnt way then others. As we care for His flock nonstop, our mouths become parched, our stomachs growl for a peaceful moment with the Lord. I believe we are in a constant form of fasting and fasting is one of the most beautiful prayers we can do here on earth.

So today, if you are hungry and thirsty for prayer time with the Lord, but your family is constantly taking your food, remember you are fasting in prayer. That thought alone makes me feel so much better. We are becoming holier by the day as we care for the Lord's flock. No, it isn't easy, but nothing worth anything in this life is easy. Usually all good works for God are hard because we share in His cross and in turn, we become closer to Him.

Before I go, I want to clear something up from yesterday's post. I have had a heavy heart about what I wrote and want to apologize if I offended anyone in my honesty of disciplining my children. I am very old-school when it comes to most things I do, especially disciplining my children. Everyone is called to discipline differently and I know I am doing what I am called to do as a mother when it comes to teaching my children the correct behavior. Anyone who has a strong-willed child will agree that you have to do what works for your child. My son has been so difficult from day one and we have tried all forms of disciplining but the only thing that works is a paddle. My sister recently told me that there was a point that Ben could have turned a different way but we got a handle on his behavior and now we have his heart. That was the best compliment I could have receieved. Everytime we spank our children, we let them cry for a second and then hug them, tell them we love them and the reason for the spanking. We do ALL things in love in this household. So, I just wanted to clear that up with anyone who was offended. I know I parent in error many times, but I am constantly on my knees asking for Jesus to help me in raising His children. I am at peace with how I discipline and peace is from God. Thanks for listening!
Blessings to you this Tuesday!

No comments: