Friday, November 20, 2009

URGING MOTHERS TO BE AN AGRESSIVE & ATTENTIVE TEACHER

Gospel Reading Luke 19:45-48

1 Maccabees 4:36-37,52-59

"My temple will be called a house of prayer. But you have turned it into a hideout for thieves." Luke 19:46

Both readings today talk about the sacredness of the temple and how Jesus drove the merchants out. He taught in the temple everyday and people were attentive, not wanting to miss a single word. As I read these scriptures, I compare our homes to the temple. As Jesus was the teacher in the temple, we are the teacher in our homes. Jesus loved carpentry work and I thought today, what if he asked someone to be the teacher in the temple while he did his passion of carpentry to help make more money. What do you think would have happened? The person he hired as the teacher probably would have let a few merchants slip in thinking it wouldn't be a big deal. I have always said no one is going to run a business like the owner and no one is going to run a home like the mother. As mothers and teachers, we have to be constantly attentive to our homes by not letting any evil influence in. We have to be on guard at all times and be teaching our children everyday good vs. evil.....right from wrong. No one truly is as passionate about teaching your children and caring for them as you are, their mother. Just as a hired person doesn't have the passion and love for a business like the founder, a person taking the place of the mother doesn't have the passion and love for her children like the mother.

Yesterday I talked to my dear friend who has a seventh grade daughter. I have been haunted by the things that are going on in a sixth and seventh grader's world. It is URGENT and crucial that we are attentive to everything that is going on in our children's lives at all times. We should be on guard to not let any "merchants in our temples"(bad influences in tv, computers, friends, cell phones,etc.) and if they enter, we should be come aggressive and angry and drive them out immediately. Our children should witness this passion we have in taking care of them and protecting them from the evil influences in this world. They should see that nothing else matters to their parents then providing them the best teaching we can give them to help them lead a life of goodness. Also, by praying for their future daily. I am already praying for their purity, leadership, self control, future spouses. I am afraid of their future, especially when I hear of how times have changed since I was growing up, and through prayer is where I find the most comfort.

I feel like I could write for hours on this subject, but my sweet husband is here this morning so I am off to have coffee with him. Just as I was reminded today in the scriptures the importance of our jobs as teachers, I hope you are reminded that what you do on a daily basis is the most important job on earth. I know we can't protect them forever, but by-golly we can try our best! As author Donna Marie Cooper Oboyle says, "God forms a partnership with mothers to raise his children the best we can." Thank goodness Jesus realized his most important task on earth and hopefully we can encourage other mothers to not get lazy and conform to society's standards but to stand firm in their most important job.....and maybe, just maybe, we can help make this world become a better place one mother at a time.

Blessings to you this Friday! Have a blessed weekend!

No comments: