Tuesday, November 17, 2009

LIVING THE FAITH

Happy Feast Day to our dear Heavenly friend, St. Elizabeth of Hungary. She is the patron saint of bread bakers. We love you St. Elizabeth! Thank you for all of your prayers!

Gospel Luke 19:1-10
First Reading Maccabees 6:18-31
"This is how he died, leaving in his death a model of courage & an unforgettable example of virtue not only for the young but the whole nation." 2 Maccabees 6:31

I have a cranky crew this morning so I will not be able to write much...is it only 7:30am? It feels like it should be noon! I read the reading of Maccabees this morning and thought this is the example I want to leave to my family when I die. If Clint and I live and teach our catholic faith and lead our children by example, then we have done our duty. Last night as Ben & Clementine were in their beds peacefully sleeping, I knelt down at their bedside and looked at their sweet little faces. Tears welled up in my eyes thinking of the life that was before them.....all of the good things and bad things that await them. I prayed that they would take the straight and narrow path and never abandon their Catholic faith. It was at that moment, that I realized if I do not do anything else as a mother, if I teach them their faith and lead by example, they will be able to face anything in life. With the trials that will come their way in the future, they will be able to endure because of a strong faith. I watched a Great Depression documentary on KERA last night. It was about the farmers in the Panhandle that endured the Dust Bowl that lasted a decade. I cried because it was my family in the 1930's. Grandad and Granny, Pappy & Aunt Clementine endured such suffering and hardship in that decade. So many families gave up and fled to California, but I have to believe that the Venneman family endured because of their devout Catholic faith.

So today, if you are overwhelmed on trying to be a good mother and working hard on checking off your to-do list, just be at peace and rest in knowing you are doing the best you can to raise your children in the faith. That is truly the most important daily task we have as mothers.....living our faith. Don't be so hard on yourself and just ask our Lord Jesus to guide you on teaching your children and being a witness to the greatest gift you can give them....their faith.

Blessing to you this Tuesday!

No comments: