Thursday, November 12, 2009

A Mother's Transfigured Moment

Gospel Reading Luke 17:20-25
First reading Wisdom 7:22 8:1

The Transfiguration: "And He was transfigured before them; His face shone like the sun and His clothes became white as light. And behold, Moses and Elijah appeared to them, conversing with Him." Mathew 17:2-3

As I was meditating this morning on the Luminous Mysteries of the Rosary (The Baptism in the Jordan, The Wedding at Cana, The Proclamation of the Kingdom, The Transfiguration & The Institution of the Eucharist), I had a quick Mother/Jesus moment. Those are the "light bulb" moments when Jesus' life on earth becomes real in my life as a mother. When I was meditating on the mystery of The Transfiguration, I thought to myself how Jesus got a little taste of Heaven and how he probably did not want that moment to end and did not want to come back to earth as a servant. Something similar (in motherhood terms) happened to me on Tuesday. I had gone to the grocery with all three kids and found myself singing "Jesus, remember me, when you come into your Kingdom" as I was stressfully strolling down the aisle with the big truck/buggie as one child was crying, one riding on top of the truck and the other singing at the top of her lungs. People looked at me like I was crazy and needed to get my children under control (which they were right). After grocery shopping, I dropped Ben off at speech school and then went by my friends house and she suggested I leave the girls and go unload my groceries. So I took her up on it and came home to do just as she suggested. As I was unloading groceries, I had a transfigured moment. I looked around my quiet peaceful home and took a deep breath and thought..."what if this was my day? What if I had all day to just unload groceries, listen to some peaceful music, work out in the garden...". It was that moment that I was transfigured into a heavenly state but then had to come back to reality as a servant for the Lord, just as Jesus did at the Transfiguration. I was reminded that great work still needed to be done and "Heaven" awaits in the distance, but now was not the time. Oh, I can not imagine having a day alone. I think we all have those transfigured moments from time to time. I can't imagine how Jesus must have felt. To have received a glimpse of heaven but knowing he had to come back as a servant to being beaten, scourged and crucified for us. As mothers, we know what we have ahead of us each day. Constant care for our children and our homes. No, it isn't glamorous and it definitely tests our faith, but we will have that forever transfigured moment someday of an empty quiet home and we will long for the chaotic days of toddlers needing us. So today, enjoy your moments as Christ's servant here on earth doing the most important work you can do in this life.....raising and caring for these precious souls. Just as Jesus had his work cut out for him, so do we mothers have our work cut out for us. How blessed we are to have been handed to us in Love such important and vital work here on earth....the care of our husband, children and our domestic churches.

What an absolute honor!

Have a blessed Thursday!

No comments: