Monday, November 2, 2009

ALL SOULS DAY

Gospel reading today: John 6:37-40

"Their passing away was thought an affliction and their going forth from us, utter destruction. But they are in peace. Wisdom 3:2-3

I can't write much this morning so I thought I would post an archive. This is about the "communion of Saints" ....how we are united with our loved ones in heaven here on earth through the Eucharist. I am so close to my loved ones who have gone before me. I never had the privilege of knowing my Great Granny, Hattie, and my Great Grandfather, Joe, who settled the ranch that I grew up on and hold so dear to my heart. However, as strange as it may sound, I know and love them because I have experienced their loving presence with me. I ask them for prayers for my family and I. I tell stories to my children of the sacrifices they made and their devout Catholic faith. How they use to drive their wagon once a month 35 miles away to take their family to mass. How the happiest day of Granny's life was when they finally arrived at the ranch and she saw the two room home my Grandad had built for them. How they eventually built the Catholic church that I was raised in and married in. Oh, how I could write endlessly about my love for these two people I have never met in person. So here is an archive that I wrote in August about teaching our children to experience heaven on earth just as I have experienced the loving presence of Grandad and Granny Venneman.

August 2009
How can we teach our children to experience Heaven while they are here on earth? How can we teach them to see Jesus in others and the all of the celestial court in church with us in our homes? Every morning when my children get up, they come and sit on my lap in my "prayer room".....a formal sitting room where I have a table with a statue of the Blessed Mother, a picture of our ancestors, a crucifix and a prayer candle. They sit in my lap and say "Morning, Jesus. Morning, Blessed Mother." Sometimes they will grab the crucifix and kiss Jesus's hands and feet...his ouchies. While in church, I picture beautiful Angels flying and singing above us and I see "look at the Angels!". And when the Eucharist is transformed into the Body and Blood of Christ, I picture Jesus coming down from Heaven, with His pierced hands and feet and standing next to the priest. He is present for us to receive Him and be nourished spiritually, mentally and physically. When we are heading up to communion, I say "let's go see Jesus!" This might all sound crazy, but it helps me to see Heaven here on earth. I truly believe and we have been told that Heaven is among us......the Blessed Mother is there with us in the middle of the night when we are rocking our babies and praying the rosary, Jesus is at the Kitchen sink with us when we ask Him for help to get through the day. Our loved ones who are now gone are here with us, praying for us and fully present in our lives. For the Communion of Saints are all of us here on earth, our loved ones in Heaven, Jesus and all of the angels and Saints united together in the Body and Blood of Christ.So the next time you are having an ordinary day or your mind is drifting off in Church, transfigure that moment into a glowing beautiful moment of Heaven truly present in your midst....your loved ones next to you celebrating mass. And as we go about raising our children, maybe we can all help them start seeing heaven on earth and it will guide them in their decisions and actions if they know Jesus and all of the celestial court are right there by their side.

No comments: