Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Who is your Gardener?

Gospel reading today John 15:1-8
"I am the real vine, and my Father is the gardener. He breaks off every branch in me that does not bear fruit, and he prunes every branch that does not bear fruit, so it will be clean and bear more fruit." John 15:1-2

What a wonderful reading and perfect timing for gardening season. I find myself almost every day in the garden pulling weeds and finding such joy and excitement in my seeds sprouting! When we bought this "fixer-upper" five years ago, I didn't know the slightest thing about gardening. But because I was forced to learn, I have a new found passion for planning and caring for my flower and vegetable garden. We are told in today's gospel that our Father in heaven is the gardener, constantly breaking off our branches that do not bear fruit. He might do this by not answering a prayer that we think HAS to be answered our way. Or by hard times that we endure....this is the surest way He really prunes us. As we are are kicking and screaming not wanting to endure hard times, just as the rose bush looks better full with tons of thorns, the Gardener is the designer and care-giver. After the end of the day, He knows what is best for His garden.

So today, as you are frustrated with what you think are un-answered prayers, or you are struggling with a health promblem or physical ailment, or crying babies and onry toddlers, just think about Our Father pruning you to make you bear more fruit and become more beautiful. If we are open to God breaking off our branches and pruning us, our Garden will be more beautiful and full than we could ever imagine.

Blessings to you this Wednesday!

No comments: