Thursday, December 10, 2009

Modern Day Mothers of Nazareth

Today's Gospel Reading
"I solemnly assure you, history has not known a man born of a woman greater than John the Baptizer. Yet the least born into the kingdom of God is greater than he." Mathew 11:11

The first thing that came to my mind when I read the gospel this morning was how proud Elizabeth must have been of her son. I like to say we are Modern day Mary & Elizabeths aiming to raise our children to proclaim the Kingdom of God someday in their hearts & through their actions. We come together every morning with our coffee to encourage and reassure each other just as Mary did in The Visitation when she went to see Elizabeth. Contrary to our world, we want nothing more than to fill our children's minds and hearts with the things of above and not the things of this world. People look at me like I am crazy when I say I would be humbled and honored if Ben became a Priest someday. As modern day mothers of Nazareth, we long for our children to know and love God at early ages. We long for them to take the straight and narrow path as they grow up and avoid the wide and narrow. Our greatest goal each day is to teach our children the best when can and provide our family with a loving & joyful environment. We truly are working for the kingdom each and every day of our lives. I always love meditating on the Wedding at Cana, because Jesus listened to His mother. He didn't think it was time to perform His first miracle, but she KNEW it was time and He obeyed. I yearn for this respect someday from my children. I tend to lean towards fearing the worst out of my children instead of the best. This is clearly Satan whispering his lies. As mothers, we have to rise up and be examples to this satan-inspired world(that sounds a little harsh, but it is true.) I once heard a priest say that Satan's work is a slow rot and if we aren't on top of things constantly through prayer and vigilance he could begin rotting away our children's souls. This might be a bit too deep and I apologize, but spritual warfare is alive and going strong and we mothers have to be on the frontlines fighting this battle for our family. Hollywood, TV, the internet, sex, drugs are the modern day King Harrods, wanting to destroy the souls of the real King. Don't get me wrong, my children watch TV, my husband and I use the internet, and sex is a beautiful union between man and woman....I think you probably know what I mean....

So as modern day mothers of Nazareth, let's make our homes a little Nazareth this advent season with Jesus being the center of our attention the next fifteen days. Don't let "you know who" rot your joy and happiness away. Beam with excitement for Christmas and your love for Christ will be contagious to your family and all whom you come into contact with.

Blessings to you this Thursday!

No comments: