Friday, October 23, 2009

HI, I AM A MOTHER OF THREE.....and I lose it with my children from time to time.

First Reading today in Mass: 7:18-25
Gospel Reading: Luke 12:54-59

"For I do not do the good I want, but I do the evil I do not want." Romans 7:19

There you have it, I confessed in the headlines what we all long to hear.....that other mothers lose their mind from time to time. I had to write the reflection on the first reading today instead of the gospel. I think it is a message all of us mothers can relate to. Whether we want to admit or not, we have all "lost it" with our children (maybe their are a few saints out there who haven't and I would love to know your remedy!). The momen we finally break we realize we did wrong and go to sleep at night with a heavy heart because we beat ourselves up for being human. So many times I wish I had handled situations differently instead of throwing something across the room and screaming at the top of my lungs, but dang it feels good at the time. After a few moments, I have to apologize to my children for my behavior....I have even put myself in the naughty corner from time to time. But I think the lesson is, we are human and sometimes we do things we wish we wouldn't have. However, I believe all of the goodness we show our children over powers the times we mess up. We have to give ourselves a break and realize we are human. A priest once told me in confession as I was confessing the anger I had shown towards my children, that the Saints struggled mostly with patience. That was music to my ears!

So today or the next day or next week, when you find yourself about to break, try stopping and saying a simple yet powerful prayer such as "Jesus, feel me with your presence." or "Mary, mother of God, be a mother to me now", a prayer taught to me by author Donna Marie Cooper Oboyle. These are prayers taught by very faithful women who have struggled through motherhood and other hard times. Keep in mind how merciful Jesus is and how He understands that we will fall many times on the path to holiness. He is walking by your side and picking you up when you fall. We can see His forgiveness through our children. They are so forgiving and merciful towards all of us dear mothers.

Have a blessed Friday and a wonderful weekend!

1 comment:

Frugal Jen said...

Glad I am not the only one :) Another great writing today. Thank you Kim!