Monday, October 12, 2009

THE DANGEROUS MESSAGES OF THE MEDIA

Gospel Reading today: Luke 11:29-32
"..Because they turned from their sins when they heard Jonah preach; and I assure you that there is something here greater than Jonah!"

The reading today reminded me of the power and danger of Oprah Winfrey and her remedies on "how to be a better you"...."the power is within you"....and the list goes on of all the scary messages she tells millions of viewers. I watched a show the other night on CNN called "The Oprah Winfrey Effect" and it was about how companies became instant successes after appearing on Oprah. That proves the power that she has over people. It is not only with the Oprah Winfrey show, the other morning I had Good Morning America on while I made my bed (I thought maybe I could come back to planet earth for 2 minutes and see what was going on)and Diane Sawyer was interviewing an author who's book was endorsed by Brad Pitt and the message was how we need to become "intune" with the power within us....."we have the power to do anything" is what this author was saying. I just shook my head and thought how scary our world has become and how fearless people are of God. When our world stops fearing God, we are in trouble.

So just as the gospel says there is something greater than these teachers and these power tools on earth, we are reminded to not listen to these dangerous messages in our society. We have to build a strong foundation at home with our family and our faith so our children won't get mixed up in these messages while they get worse as our children get older. How can we do this? First of all by not listening and believing these false messages. Also, by realizing the power within us only comes from the Almighty God who created us. We are told in scripture that "we CAN do anything through Christ who strengthens us". By living our lives for our faith and family we can keep focused on the great task at hand and not get mixed up in the lies and corruption of the world. I don't know much but I do know as mothers if we are in daily prayer and walking with the Lord hand in hand, He will guide our family on the straight and narrow path. We can't get lazy on our journey....there is no room for laziness. As soon as we become lazy in prayer and our faith, that gives a green light for Satan.

So today, look around your home and your family. As you yearn to be out in the world do something else besides the monotony of caring for your family, remind yourself that "there is something greater" ...there is a greater purpose in all of this than we can ever imagine. Keep focused on the greater task at hand.....raising your children to be soldiers of Christ and helping them march into Eternity.

Have a blessed Monday!





1 comment:

Frugal Jen said...

My husband and I were discussing this same issue with the media this morning.

You are right me must stay strong in Christ for our families. He is the only one to give us the power.