Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Watering Our Soul for a Good Harvest....

I just returned from our very first early mother's prayer group.  A handful of us mothers are meeting in the gardens of our Parish at 5:30 AM twice a month to consecrate our families, parish and nation to the Sacred Heart of Jesus and Immaculate Heart of Mary.  What a beautiful and spiritual morning it was.....my soul is refreshed!  Now back to the grind....  It is hard after having such a peaceful and beautiful encounter with Heaven, as I just did, to come back in to the daily grind of motherhood.  However, I already feel the graces from Heaven trinkling down upon me to help me get through yet another dog day of summer with restless kids.

In today's gospel, Jesus tells us a parable comparing the different types of soil.  I can't help but think of the state of the family in today's society.  How many mothers and fathers are truly living and yearning to have good soil to raise up fruitful children? Here is an archive from my blog on this subject.  I don't have much time to write so here is a meditation from several months ago....

"Some seeds fell in good soil, and the plants had thirty grains, others sixty, and other one hundred." Mathew 13:1-13

The question I ask myself and you today is "What kind of soil are we?" Are our seeds (our children) having to grow in shallow soil, dry soil, soil with thorn bushes, or good soil? What makes for good and bad soil? Shallow soil doesn't have deep rooted faith to help the seeds grow...dry soil shows the seeds their unhappiness and doesn't give the seeds hope to live and be joyful to the Lord....soil with thorn bushes is choked by materialism and greed and teaches the seeds to always yearn for more. But good soil means to be in daily prayer, to yearn for holiness. Good soil distinguishes the difference between life on earth and life in heaven and radiates with joy and love for the Lord even in disappointment and hard times. The most important task of good soil is to give their life for their seeds (the family) and to help the seeds grow and bear much fruit.

So today, whatever is keeping your soil from growing seeds of goodness and love, then get your rake and shovel and get to work. (This goes for me especially!) Pull up those nasty weeds that are covering the good soil....rake up the old leaves that are smothering the fresh soil, and water and nuture this good soil with prayers and joy for the Lord. In turn, your little seeds will sprout and grow higher and higher towards Heaven's gates!

Blessings to you this Wednesday!

2 comments:

amwz photography said...

It's not the getting through.. it's the savoring of the moment. Summer is such a delight as my kids are home, my house is at a dull roar with things about us, but *I* get to be the one with the most input in what they do, what they think and how they treat those around us..
to teach them to "go think about it" as I did many times today.. it's rough but in the long run I think I am making a difference in how my kids will affect those around them in this crazy world!!

I know soon enough they go out to friends and hopefully I have instilled in them how to behave and react to situations... they then will be the positive influence on others :)

Kim said...

Beautifully said, my friend. You are a true example of relishing in every moment of Motherhood. You always make motherhood look so joyful and easy...darn it! How do you do it? I guess you just explained. Thank you for being such an inspiration in my life. You are complete joy to your family and all who are blessed to know you!
Love you!