Friday, January 14, 2011

Paralyzed

Gospel Reading Mark 2: 1-12
 Today's gospel reading talks about Jesus speaking in Capernaum and there were vast crowds and no room left to get into the building, not even in front of the door.  So the family of the paralyzed man cut a whole in the roof and lowered him down for Jesus to heal him.  As I read this, I am reminded how we can get paralyzed in our day to day living.  Paralyzed in our thinking, feelings, actions.  Sometimes it takes a big scare of child getting hurt or a loved one possibly diagnosed with a sickness/impairment that unparalyzes us.  This happened to me on Tuesday.  We had a a scare with our youngest 2 1/2 old daughter, Anna Claire.  I was on my knees (literally) throughout the day praying for God not to give us this cross we thought we had to face.  I wish I could go into more details but I don't have the time. To make a long story short, everything turned out okay.  All of the sudden, I was unparalyzed!  I thought back to the useless worry or complaints I had been having....moaning and groaning about my pregnancy or annoyed with children or feeling like I am trapped in my home with wild toddlers and no where to escape.  All of the sudden, I looked around after being unparalyzed and praised God for everything I had.  I knew at that moment how each and every day is a gift.  These children are such a gift.  My husband and marriage is such a gift. Our home is the perfect size.  Our bank account is just right.  My vericose veins are beautiful. At that moment I realized I have everything......I need NOTHING!  That absolutely nothing else matters in life then family and friends. 

After the grueling day I had on Tuesday, I thanked God for giving me such a day.  It was a healing moment in my life in a time that I really needed it.  The rest of this week, I have been overjoyed.  Loved on our children a little more, rested in my husbands arms, sat on the floor and played, baked cookies and just relished in my family's precesense. 
So today, whatever is paralyzing you, give it up to Jesus.  Look around and see that you have everything you have at this very moment in your life.  It can change in an instant.  As mothers, our hearts are wide open for heart break at any moment so relish in the mundane days of January tucked inside your home with children.  Read a book, watch a movie, bake something delicious to endulge in with your children.  Enjoy this time because you will never live this day again.  So "get up and walk" my friend. Look up to Heaven in praise and thanksgiving and become unparalyzed.
Blessings to you this Friday!

2 comments:

Frugal Jen said...

So thankful AC is ok! As always a wonderful post.

Blessings Kim!

Amy McCauley said...

Kim, I'm crying because I really needed that today. Yesterday on the day we thought we were going to get the best news it didn't happen. Never did I think or prepare for it to not happen. I was so ready to move on. I have been paralyzed by my own disappointment. But you are so right. There is nothing more important than your family. Thank you! Love you.